The Florida Department of Health recently identified possible non-travel related cases of Zika virus in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties. With cases hitting closer and closer to home, it is important to take the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of the virus.
Your Zika Prevention Kit contains products to help prevent the spread of Zika. Please use these items to protect yourself against Zika virus.
Click Here to Download Your Zika Prevention Kit
What is Zika?
The Zika virus is a mosquito-transmitted infection related to dengue, yellow fever, and West Nile virus. While it is common in Africa and Asia, it recently spread to the Western Hemisphere.
The concern comes for pregnant women who develop a temporary form of paralysis after exposure to the Zika virus. This temporary paralysis can result in babies being born with abnormally small heads, a neurological condition known as microcephaly.
Additional resources you may find useful:
- Current Zika virus information from CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/zika
- Florida mosquito-borne disease information including weekly surveillance reports: http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/mosquito-borne-diseases/index.html
- Contact information for county and state DOH:
Other Zika Resources from The IVF CenterSM
- Patient Guidelines on Zika Virus
- Latest Reproductive Health News on the Zika Virus*
- CDC Recommendations on Zika Virus Exposure and Desire to Conceive
- FDA Recommends How to Reduce Risk of Zika Virus Transmission
- Zika Virus Resources
Update 5/22/17: Click here to see the CDC’s travel recommendations for Zika in that country.