Doctor explaining to patient the success Rate of IUI

What makes IUI a recommended treatment option for infertility? Intrauterine insemination (IUI) stands as a favored treatment for infertility due to its targeted approach and relatively non-invasive nature. It’s also considered more affordable. 

IUI is a commonly used fertility treatment that can assist individuals and couples in achieving pregnancy. It involves the placement of washed and prepared sperm directly into the uterus during the woman’s fertile window. 

Can IUI be helpful for your future family building?  At The IVF Center, we will guide you through why IUI is sometimes preferred when compared to other assisted reproductive techniques and what you can expect so you can make the best decision. 

What is IUI Success?

Success Rates for IUI

Women under 40 years old have a more than 50% chance of achieving a successful pregnancy after undergoing six cycles of IUI, with a higher success rate of over 75% after 12 cycles. Some other sources put the cumulative pregnancy rate at 20-33% following six cycles of ovarian hyperstimulation with IUI.

Factors Affecting IUI Success Rates

Several factors can influence the success rates of IUI. Understanding these variables can give individuals and couples realistic expectations.

 Some of the significant factors that may impact the success of IUI include:

  • Age: Advanced maternal age is associated with a decline in fertility. As a woman’s age increases, the quality and quantity of her eggs diminish. Therefore, the success rates of IUI tend to be higher for younger women compared to those over the age of 35.
  • Cause of Infertility: The underlying cause of infertility can affect the success rates of IUI. If the infertility is due to factors such as ovulation disorders, cervical issues, or mild male factor infertility, IUI may be more effective. However, if infertility is related to severe male factor issues, tubal blockages, or significant female reproductive disorders, the success rates of IUI may be lower.
  • Ovulation Induction: In many IUI cycles, ovulation induction medications are used to stimulate the development and release of multiple eggs. These medications can increase the chances of successful fertilization and pregnancy compared to natural or unstimulated cycles.
  • Sperm Quality: The quality and quantity of sperm used in IUI are crucial to its success. If the male partner has suboptimal sperm parameters, such as low sperm count, poor motility, or abnormal morphology, it can lower the success rates of IUI.
  • Number of Attempts: The number of IUI cycles attempted can impact the overall success rates. It is common for individuals and couples to undergo multiple cycles of IUI before achieving a successful pregnancy.

Who Can Benefit from IUI?

woman pregnant after successful IUIIUI is a versatile treatment option and it can be a promising solution for various fertility challenges. It is commonly recommended in the following scenarios:

Unexplained Infertility
In cases where you and your partner have no apparent reproductive issues but are struggling to conceive, IUI may offer a success rate of 7% to 10% per cycle. Combining it with fertility drugs can increase this rate from 15% to 25%.

One Open Fallopian Tube
If one of your fallopian tubes is open and the other blocked, the success rate varies depending on the location of the blockage. If it’s closer to the ovary, the success rate is approximately 11.7%, but it can go as high as 38.1% when closer to the uterus.

Male Factor Infertility
IUI can be a solution when your male partner has issues such as abnormal sperm count, morphology, motility, or blocked vas deferens. In such cases, the procedure boosts the chances of natural conception, with a success rate of approximately 16.9%.

Cervical Issues or Cervical Mucus Problems
IUI can help circumvent challenges related to the cervix or cervical mucus, providing a pathway for sperm to reach the egg.

Situations Requiring Donor Sperm
For couples where the male partner has a known genetic disorder and wishes to avoid passing it on to their child, IUI with donor sperm is a viable option.

Single Women Desiring Conception
IUI offers single women the opportunity to achieve pregnancy and motherhood.

Erectile or Ejaculation Problems
In cases where the male partner faces difficulties with erection or ejaculation, IUI can facilitate successful fertilization.

Are You Thinking of IUI or Other Fertility Treatments? 

If you are considering IUI, it is advisable to consult with a healthcare professional or fertility specialist who can evaluate your circumstances, discuss the potential success rates, and guide you through the process. Make an appointment today with The IVF Center for guidance and support. IUI can be an effective fertility treatment that brings you closer to your dream of starting or expanding your family.